Friday, June 5, 2009

I Think I'm Going Through A Phase....

I’ve adjusted to the rhythm of my on-line classes, even though they’ve turned out to be incredibly intense, crushing a 16-week course into 8 weeks – do not pass go, do not collect $200, no time off for good behavior. What I have not yet adjusted to is the weird amalgamation of stuff I’m shoving into my brain this semester; it’s not anyone’s fault, you understand, it’s just the way this particular combination of courses works out.

THIS WEEK’S MAD INTELLECTUAL HODGEPODGE: The lit class alone was a weird mix this week; we were asked to read Gillman’s “The Yellow Wallpaper”, which is one of the quintessential pieces of that odd sub-genre of “high-strung feminist” (think Virginia Wolfe and Silvia Plath, the whole “male-dominance-is-giving-me-a-nervous-breakdown” thing... if you saw the film "The Hours", that pretty much covers it) AND Jack London’s “How To Build a Fire” (very good, and not as chest-beating as “Tarzan of the Apes”, but certainly London was a big fat hairy deal in the machismo-at-one-with-nature set). Add to that my Art History assignment – Egyptian Tomb Art – and throw on “Abbey Road” in the background for no good reason at all (but hey, it’s not like SOMETHING ELSE would have mixed any better!!!!), and… well, here’s the result.


"STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER"

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER"

"FLY ME TO THE MOON"


"CLOWNING AROUND"

and, finally:
"ALL MY HEART"

(some vintage images used thanks to The Graphics Fairy)

NEXT WEEK'S MENTAL GUMBO: T.S. Elliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" and unspecified poems from Ezra Pound and e.e.cummings in English Lit, combined with Aegean & Greek Art. Let's take a vote: shall I throw Coldplay's "Viva La Vida", Pink Floyd 's "Dark Side of the Moon", or the Beatle's "Sgt. Pepper" on the stereo while I study? Or perhaps you have a write-in vote?
In any case, I'm working on a new kit, it should be posted shortly. I'll try to curb my current weirdness... but no promises. You may be stuck with this until the first week in August, after my classes end... sorry.

8 comments:

  1. All I can say is WOW! I can see why your brain is a bit scrambled--I was lost after your first sentence! lol But I love the result of your brain overload. Better stay away from Led Zeppelin, tho! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so much fun. SUCH CREATIVITY!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for showing them to us.
    Ruthy

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a nod to Elliot, my vote is for "Teenage Wasteland." (Although, come to think of it, that's not the actual Who title - but you know the one I mean.) Just imagine the fun kinds of small talk you'll be able to dredge up at parties with all this knowledge. Thanks, as always, for the fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I dig the weirdness. The lo's are wonderful.

    Pink Floyd is always a good choice, or maybe Radiohead?

    Now I'm off to go reread cummings' The Boys I Mean Are Not Refined :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I really like your style! Such beautiful collages. I love how you grouped the different Pierrots together with the clown face, in your clown collage. And you colors are so vibrant and fun! Thanks so much for playing along today for "Brag Monday".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammara,
    I use alot of sheet music too, so I loved seeing your new creations--very talented!
    You created some awesome work!
    I am so sorry to hear of your husband's health issues right now and I will pray for him and a complete healing. Thank you for sharing your beautiful talent. Hugs, Cindy Adkins
    www.recoveryartist.com
    New Orleans, Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your collages! So whimsical, colourful and they make me smile. I saw your Clowning Around collage for Brag Monday - brilliant! I really love the colours and images you chose. Happy Monday to you! Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your collages are such good fun! I particularly like the colour compositions, this is great. Petra. xx

    ReplyDelete